Fred Cogswell mentored Candice James, the New Westminster poet laureate and a founding member of RCLAS. He spent his last years in New Westminster, writing his last books here. The award is intended to honour his dedication both to the craft of poetry and to the poets themselves; may we continue to nurture each other (and our words) so richly. We are grateful to Kathleen Forsythe, Fred’s daughter, for granting RCLAS permission to use her father’s name.
- Book must be bound as a book, not a chapbook.
- Book must be a minimum of 50 pages in length.
- Selected poetry must be written in English by a single author.
- Book must be original work by the author (translations will not be considered at this time)
- Original date of publication falls between January 1, 2015 and December 31, 2015.
- Book must be published in Canada.
- Book must be written by a Canadian citizen or permanent resident alive in submission year.
- Electronic books are not eligible.
In case of dispute about the book’s eligibility, the Society’s decision will be final.
George Fetherling is the judge for our 2016 Fred Cogswell Award For Excellence In Poetry.
Additional biographical information
Reading Fee: $25 (all funds Canadian). Payment can be made through PayPal (there is a link below) or by money order (payable to “Royal City Literary Arts Society”). If you pay with Paypal, please include a copy of your receipt with the submission package.
Two copies* of the book must be submitted to the Royal City Literary Arts Society, along with the reading fee (or proof thereof), and must be postmarked no later than October 1, 2016. The society’s mailing address is:
Royal City Literary Arts Society Fred Cogswell Award Box
Box #308 – 720 6th Street
New Westminster, BC
Shortlist will be announced Oct 15, 2016.
Winners will be announced Nov 1, 2016.
Winning authors & titles will be included in the December issue of RCLAS’s Wordplay e-zine.
*Submitted books will not be returned; they become the property of the Royal City Literary Arts Society.