6th ANNUAL FRED COGSWELL AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN POETRY https://rclas.com/awards-contests/fred-cogswell-award/
“Fred Cogswell (1917-2004) was a prolific poet, editor, professor, life member of the League of Canadian Poets, and an Officer of the Order of Canada.”
First Prize: $500
Second Prize: $250
Third Prize: $100
- Book must be bound as a book, not a chapbook.
- Book length must be a minimum of 60 pages in length.
- Selected poetry must be written in English by a single author.
- Book must be original work by the author (translations will not be considered at this time)
- Original date of publication falls between January 1, 2018 and December 31, 2018.
- Book must be published in Canada.
- Book must be written by a Canadian citizen or permanent resident alive in submission year.
- Electronic books are not eligible.
In case of dispute about the book’s eligibility, the Society’s decision will be final.
Fred Wah is the judge for our 2019 Fred Cogswell Award For Excellence In Poetry.
Reading Fee: $25 (all funds Canadian). Payment can be made through PayPal (there is a link below) or by money order (payable to “Royal City Literary Arts Society”). If you pay with Paypal, please include a copy of your receipt with the submission package.
Two copies* of the book must be submitted to the Royal City Literary Arts Society, along with the reading fee (or proof thereof), and must be postmarked no later than October 1, 2019. The society’s mailing address is:
Royal City Literary Arts Society
Fred Cogswell Award
Box #308 – 720 6th Street
New Westminster, BC V3L 3C5
Shortlist will be announced Oct 15, 2019.
Winners will be announced Nov 1, 2019.
Winning authors & titles will be included in the December issue of RCLAS’s Wordplay e-zine.
*Submitted books will not be returned; they become the property of the Royal City Literary Arts Society.